Short-term investments in Philippine financial markets fled the country at the end of the first quarter as the coronavirus pandemic dampened sentiment among money managers around the world, the latest data from the central bank showed.
According to the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, registered tally of so-called “hot money” movements yielded net outflows of $1.5 billion from the start of the year until the first week of April.
This was the result of $5.2 billion in gross outflows, which swamped the $3.7 billion in gross inflows for the period.
“This is a reversal from the $293 million in net inflows noted for the same period last year brought about by uncertainties due, among others, to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic to the global economy and financial system,” the central bank said.
It added that other contributory factors to the surge in portfolio investment repatriations by fund managers included the continuing geopolitical tensions between the US and Iran; the ongoing trade negotiations between the United States and China, and the renegotiation of the contracts of the country’s water concessionaires.
“Meanwhile, year-to-date transactions for all investments—Philippine Stock Exchange-listed securities, peso-denominated government securities and other investments—resulted in net outflows,” the regulator added.
While “hot money” flows have limited direct impact on the real economy, it is a leading indicator of the sentiment of financial investors on the prospects of the country, which, in turn, helps determine the viability of long-term investments.
According to the central bank, foreign portfolio investments for March 2020 yielded net outflows of $961 million, resulting from the $1.9 billion in outflows and $954 million inflows for the month. This reversed the recorded net inflows of $40 million in February. The $954 million in registered investments reflected a 30.6-percent decline from the $1.4 billion figure in February 2020.
The central bank data showed that 93 percent of investments registered during the month went to PSE-listed securities—mainly in property companies, holding firms, banks, food, beverage and tobacco companies and transportation services firms—while the remaining 7 percent went to investments in peso-denominated government securities.
The United Kingdom, the United States, Singapore, Hong Kong and Luxembourg were the top five investors for the month, with a combined share to the total of 83.9 percent.
Outflows for the month of $1.9 billion were higher by 43.5 percent compared to the $1.3 billion recorded for February.
“This may be attributed to the general risk-off sentiment in the market that has prompted investors to liquidate portfolios and keep money in cash amid heightened worries over the adverse economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic and despite the initial fiscal stimulus package of the government,” the central bank said, adding that the United States received 68.5 percent of total outflows. INQ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.